Friday, May 22, 2009

BBA – Christopsomos

Yesterday, I made the second recipe in Peter Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice which was Artos. I chose to make the Christopsomos style – well, because it involves more goodies of course!

I have an insane schedule today, so I'll let the pictures speakt for themselves most of the time:

BBA Christopsomos-01

I used sourdough starter and organic wheat flour from ICA (only another Scandinavian would know what I mean by that) and the result was a very loose dough. After adding an extra 100 grams flour things looked better:

BBA Christopsomos-02

Now, this is what I like to see in my DLX:

BBA Christopsomos-03

Adding goodies. Had no walnuts, so substituted hazelnuts and almonds. Golden raisins, dried apricots and figs:

BBA Christopsomos-04

Put dough in oiled container:

BBA Christopsomos-05

This is where I put all my doughs to rise. It's very handy because I can place the container anywhere, and even place things on top of it.

BBA Christopsomos-06

After first rise:

BBA Christopsomos-07

2/3 of the dough becomes a boule, 1/3 goes into the fridge.

BBA Christopsomos-08

BBA Christopsomos-09

Made 2 strands out of the chilled dough – appr. 40 cm/15".

BBA Christopsomos-12

Shaping the Christopsomos:

BBA Christopsomos-13

Ready to bake:

BBA Christopsomos-14

Oops, only 15 minutes in the oven and already brown – covered with aluminum foil rest of the time.

BBA Christopsomos-15

After about 40 minutes, the inner temperature had reached 87 °C. It was teared on top, I don't know why really and how to avoid it – but I didn't think it was such a big deal.

BBA Christopsomos-17

After glazing and sesame seeding:

BBA Christopsomos-19

BBA Christopsomos-20

Mmm, the crumb!

BBA Christopsomos-22

We brought the bread to a gathering and everybody liked it a lot! A bit unusual for Swedish traditions, but we all enjoyed it – it's not that sweet really, but very tasty. I will definitely make this again!

- And now it's posted on YeastSpotting!

13 comments:

susies1955 said...

Your bread turned out great. Loved your photos.
Now you are on to bagels. Have fun,
Susie

görel said...

Thanks, this was fun! And I'm so looking forward to baking bagels!

Baking Soda said...

Ha ICA! Scandinavian and me! *grins*

Great job on the bread, somehow the difference between the chilled dough and the uprising boule makes for strange things happening. I had the upper strands sort of restraining the dough ball when I made it long ago. How did you like it?

Laurie Ashton Farook said...

Lovely lovely bread!

The tearing is because the bread rose so much. The only "cure" for it, other than the bread not rising, is to slash the bread where you want it to expand.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Your are a rock'n woman!
This is beautiful. Really wonderful progress photos.

görel said...

Karen, I LOVED this bread! Will do absolutely it again!

Laurie, I guess you're right! I can't imagine how to slash a bread like this though, maybe I should have used less yeast?

Thanks Tanna! Looking forward to see yours!

Natashya said...

It looks so good! I forgot to put the fruit and nuts in mine. Oh well, maybe I will make it again soon.
Love your shaping, so nice!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous loaf! And your mixer - very nice! :)

görel said...

Well Natashya, now you have a reason to make it again, don't you?

Kelly, thanks! And I do like my mixer ...

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I would kill for that bread. Well, maybe I should try making it myself instead of getting violent. :)

görel said...

Murasaki, you go ahead! It was really a quite simple recipe. You won't regret it!

Lien said...

You're on a rolls. Nice bread. I made it a long time ago, can not remember really how it was, but yours looks great (great pictures too!)

breadchick said...

I was all worried when my bread really rose in the oven and then opened up around where the dough crossed over the loaf but after looking at your wonderful pictures, I feel MUCH better.