Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Babes are sprouting and growing!

BBB logo july 2010 

This month we got a somewhat different task on our hands –Lynn of Cookie Baker Lynn decided that since the Babes are mighty and invincible, we could bake without flour. And, some of us actually did! I don’t count myself to this lucky Babe troop, although I tried twice.

The general idea was to sprout wheat berries and then mix them in a food processor together with yeast, salt and honey to make a dough. Which actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all!

I actually found organic berries, not only wheat but also farro and spelt. In the first try I used both wheat and farro, and they sprouted quite quickly – the wheat was a bit ahead of the farro. But the result – I’m not sure how to describe it other than – interesting.

Wheat-Farro brick-01

It looks a bit like a gold bar (ingot?) and was as hard to slice.

The next try involved wheat berries only, more yeast and water, less salt and honey. That should have done the trick! But no. I don’t know what happened with the gluten, but it wasn’t there for the loaf. Which more or less fell apart. Below is a fake picture of a sandwich that consists of crumbles that have been shoved together to form a slice of bread. I can’t believe that I’m actually showing these photos (but the “sandwich” was in fact very good!).

Crumbles with philly and cucumber-01

But instead of going on about my failures, I would like to thank Lynn for bringing this wicked challenge along! It was so different and so much fun, and I actually learned a lot.

Besides the revolutionary, hippie-esque recipe – more things happened this month! We have new Babes in the classroom, and what Babes! They will bring along knowledge, experience, and new ideas. And they were introduced with this diabolic recipe … but they tackled it very bravely!

They are:

Blog from our Kitchen – Elizabeth
Feeding My Enthusiasms – Pat
Paulchen’s Food Blog – Astrid
Wild Yeast – Susan

I am very excited about baking with these fine ladies.

But OK, move on, nothing more to see here, go find more successful sprouted breads elsewhere! E.g. the other mighty babes, including the new ones above! Tip: Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups has a lot of tips about making this bread.

9 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

"Fake Sandwich" I love it!
Sorry the sprouting didn't work out for it. Blame it on faulty berries.
Loved the post - so funny!

Susan said...

I love your description of the sandwich, and it does look very good! Thank you for welcoming me and my fellow Babelets into the group!

Elle said...

Love your post and a special 'thank you' for lack of success...makes me feel not so dorky...plus that wonderful 'fake' sandwich which does look delicious! Glad to be a new Babe and to be baking with you. XO Elle

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Most excellent! Frustrating that this shows such great promise and taste but really is a challenge.
Fake Sandwich, that's a good one.
My third try was not good - and my conclusion was it was the wheat berries didn't have the same gluten as the ones I got from King Arthur.

Baking Soda said...

Not sure what happens to this bread everywhere but you did make lovely pictures! (the plate!!)

ejm said...

I love that you pushed the crumbs together to make it look like a piece of bread for the sandwich. And isn't it amazing what good flavour this bread has even if it has not turned out exactly as hoped!

-Elizabeth

(Many thanks for the really warm welcome. I look forward to more bread making with you all.)

katiez said...

Ah, a cucumber sandwich - so very elegant! And it's all about the taste, anyway....

Astrid and the kitties Kashim, Othello and Salome said...

I love how your loafes look!
And I even more love your cucumber sandwich! Looks perfect to me ;o))

hobby baker said...

Ingots, that's hilarious! And exactly what my first attempt turned out too. ☺ Funny though, I was thinking of toasting mine and turning it into a cucumber sandwich as well... Thanks for sharing your attempt with everyone!