Monday, August 16, 2010

BBB – Sweet Portuguese Bread – Massa Sovada

BBB logo august 2010

This month, Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups steered the Bread Baking Babes to the Iberian peninsula to make Sweet Portuguese Bread. And she was well prepared. She wanted to recreate a traditional Portuguese bread for a Portuguese neighbour of hers, and tried out a couple recipes before she (and her neighbour) was satisfied. Read more about their quest for the perfect Massa at Tanna’s place!

A new concept, at least it was new to me, was introduced in this month’s recipe – osmotolerant yeast. In short, it’s yeast that behaves particularly well in sweet doughs. In Sweden, we almost always use fresh yeast (practically the only yeast in our stores) and one of the two available types is for sweet doughs. So. I guess it’s osmotolerant. Now I have a neat word for it that I will use as often as I can. Read more about osmotolerant yeast at Susan’s (yes, she is a Babe! Yo!) Wild Yeast and in excerpts from various Google books.

Another unusual thing about this bread was that the sponge was made up with potato water. Very easy if you are boiling potatoes for dinner anyway, you just save the water. At least if you remember to do that. I didn’t, and I wasn’t the only one … but cold potatoes are nice to have in the fridge so just cook some more.

And the there was the shaping! I actually bought a broom stick to be able to shape this bread.

Massa SWP

Not that it helped, because after baking they looked like big, round buns:

Massa SWP-2

But the taste wasn’t compromised. Not at all! This was great bread, fun to make, and yum to eat. Thanks Tanna for this challenge!

Now go visit Tanna at of My Kitchen in Half Cups for the full story and recipe. The move on to the other Babes to behold their Portuguese wonders. List is on the right!

16 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

And the very best part that happens when the fancy indents fail ... you have the perfect traditional round shape.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

And you're not the only one who forgets the potato water and it ends up down the drain. After years of doing that I finally am better at saving it, not perfect but better. I manage often to freeze it in an ice cube tray for later use.

Elle said...

Love your write-up...it captures the whole deal. Amazing that those deep indents didn't remain as deep when baked, but you can still see the hills and valley and the crust looks wonderful! I tried both potato water and whey and liked the potato water best...plus I got to make mashed potatoes!I've forgotten and just drained the potatoes in the past...guess it is not unknown. Did you like the bread as much as most Babes did?

Sara said...

i completely ignored the omni-whoosit yeast and just good old regular. :)

Ilva said...

I forgot it too, the potato water, but it was delicious anyway, just like yours!

ap269 said...

I prepared the sponge last night and it's sitting in the fridge waiting for me to come home this afternoon... Glad to see the round loaf kept its shape without a form.

katiez said...

Cold potatoes - potato salad! Plus you have a new broomstick!
Gorgeous Bread!

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Beautiful loaves! I love the round shape with the subtle bulges. So odd that the perfectly demarked bread rounded out in baking.
Great colour too. ♥

Elizabeth said...

The colour is spectacular, Görel! And I like the hint of the shape. I'm quite disappointed that I didn't leave mine to do exactly the same thing.

It never occurred to me to start slipping "osmotolerant" in conversation.

Susan said...

I do love the way this looks with its roundness punctuated by subtle bulges -- I think I will try for that next time. And I have to echo what's been said about the crust color -- really perfect!

Astrid and the kitties Kashim, Othello and Salome said...

totally forgot you even bought a broom stick hehe
Love the looks of your bread!

görel said...

The broom stick will be handy next Easter.

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Lien said...

Great loaves Görel! I forgot the potato water as well, just used normal water and that worked very well too. Shame that the indentations didn't work out, though I like that round pumpkin like shape a lot.

hobby baker said...

LOL, that's exactly what mine did! I creased that dough nice and deep with a giant chopstick but the oven spring was so enthusiastic, you could hardly see them after baking. But oh, the flavor... ☺

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com