Saturday, July 16, 2011

BBB - Burger buns for July


I have dusted off my old blog to honour July's BBB bread – burger buns! Sara of I like to cook chose this recipe for us since July is the month of barbecues and hot dogs for many people, at least in the Northern hemisphere. And what could be better than to make your own buns, the ones you buy are rarely worth their name, at least here in Sweden they seem to be baked with air and often fall apart in molecules.

I baked the buns and prepared two very nice sandwiches, one with home made fava bean spread, beef burger, lettuce, shallots and rocket, and the other one with brie cheese, milanese salami, lettuce, leek and rocket (yes I love rocket), arranged and took some pictures and the gulped them down since I was very hungry. Only to find later that my camera was set to raw format and my Photoshop Elements version doesn't support raw, and I couldn't find my Photoshop CD (just installed a new computer).


So all I can show you is a couple of plain buns. But my BBB friends of course have much nicer pics to show you, so head over to them straight away – links to the right! Thank you Sara, for this challenge!

The recipe is here. I reduced the amount of sugar, used spelt and wheat, and used fresh yeast because that's what we get in Sweden.

13 comments:

Natashya KitchenPuppies said...

Beautiful buns! I love the sound of that brie sammie - delish!

görel said...

Thank you! Yes, it was really good.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Brie! Oh yes, why of why didn't that thought come into my head when I had buns??? Perhaps I kneads me some more buns.
Ditto on the sugar! One day spelt will work into some bread in my kitchen, I just don't remember it.
Beautiful buns!

Lien said...

Perfect looking buns!! I love that Brie-burger too, very nice. I used less sugar too (and less salt), I'd reduce it even more next time.
Great to have you baking with us again!!!

Elizabeth said...

Your buns look beautiful. Perfect, actually. (I promise I wasn't copying Lien when I said that!)

Ooooh, good idea to add brie and rocket (I too adore rocket)! That sounds delicious.

görel said...

Thank you my lovelies! It's so nice to bake with you again!

Elle said...

Nifty buns and yummy sounding fillings, too. Now I want more buns and some of YOUR fillings.

Astrid and the kitties Kashim, Othello and Salome said...

*does happy dance* I am glad you are back! I missed you Babe and your buns look just babelicious! xoxo

görel said...

Thanks you! :-)

hobby baker said...

Those fillings sure do sound good! I'll probably switch to whole grain spelt instead of my white whole wheat, I have been enjoying the spelt so much for my bread baking. :)

Nicolas said...

Another wonderful hamburger bun recipe!
Best regards!
Cleaning London

katiez said...

What a pretty bun.... I love summer!

Cathy (breadexperience) said...

I love the addition of spelt and wheat in these buns. Sounds wonderful!